1. Beans & Lentils- Since they’re both high in protein & fiber they help to stabilize your blood sugar levels and keep you full.
2. Wild Fish- Foods that are naturally high in omega 3 fatty acids increase insulin sensitivity, helping your body to increase muscle mass and decrease belly fat.
3. Blueberries- Most fruits are great snacks on any meal plan because they contain vitamins and fiber. Blueberries are an even better choice since there packed with antioxidants, and a lot cheaper than other high antioxidant fruits (acai berries).
4. Chilies- A compound found in chilies called capsaicin has a thermogenic effect, meaning it causes the body to burn extra calories for 20 minutes after you eat them, and they pack heat forcing you to eat your meal more slowly, this allows the stomach time to tell the brain its full.
5. Plain Yogurt- The combination of carbs, protein and fat keep you feeling satisfied and staves off feeling of hunger. Try to choose yogurts that don’t contain added sugar (other than what’s contained in the fruit) artificial sweeteners or gelatin- this can be difficult to find, so read your labels! Eat more by substituting plain yogurt for mayo, sour cream, or cream in your recipes.
6. Quinoa- This ultimate grain is a complete protein and glutton free! It also has tons of fiber. Replace your usual carbohydrate with this amazing side (also great to serve under beans and veggies I toss mine with salsa and plain yogurt.)
7. Avocados- Even though avocados are high in fat it’s the healthy monounsaturated type that our bodies crave, it keeps you full and works to strengthen skin, hair and nails. Replace typical sandwich spreads such as mayo or cheese with mashed avocado.