1 sweet potato finely grated
1/2 cup fresh parm (omit if vegan)
1 egg- whisked
salt to taste
1 can black beans
5 crushed whole grain crackers (or 1 cup bread crumbs, I just happened to have crackers on hand!-If your gluten free you can use 1 cup of oat flour)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large handfuls roughly chopped spinach
1 onion chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 jar tomato sauce
1 box spagetti noodles (Whole grain or gluten free)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Start boiling a pot of water for your noodles.
2. Saute onions and mushrooms, cook until tender
3. Mash beans (chunks are okay!) and add in cooked mushrooms and onions
4. Grate your sweet potato, crush your crackers and add to mixture
5. Add your whisked egg
6. I use my electric mixer, but you can easily mix by hand- if you can make these a day or even several hours in advance you’ll find they stick together a bit better, however it’s not necessary. Once every things incorporated form your balls.
7. Heat 2 skillets with a tablespoon of oil in each, add your noodles to your boiling water
8. Add your meatballs to one skillet and your onions for the spagetti sauce in another. (If your watching your calories you don’t need to brown them in a pan with oil first, it just makes them a bit crispier, you can just put them straight into the oven on a parchment lined pan.)
9. Brown your meatballs for 10 minutes and then transfer to a pan lined with parchment paper- cook for 20 mins.
10. Add your tomato sauce, spinach and olive oil to your simmering onions, reduce heat to a low simmer.
11. So at this point your noodles, sauce and veggie meatballs should all be cooking, and finished at the same time, roughly 15 more mins.
12. Assemble your bowls!