This recipe puts a twist on the classic pesto sauce by adding avocado and spinach. With avocado the sauce becomes nice and creamy, I’ve thrown the spinach in because why not? You can’t taste it at all and you get an serving of greens.
2 handfuls of spinach
3/4 cup pesto sauce
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 free range egg
2 tbsp oil (grapeseed or other high smoke point)
20 oz- roughly of organic/local free range ground turkey breast
Gluten free spaghetti noodles
Generally I’m not a huge fan of “gluten free” products, often they’re just packed with fillers but I’ve managed to find a couple of pretty clean varieties- just make sure you check the label and the ingredients are all whole grains i.e. quinoa, rice ect. stay away from added starches (corn or potato.) I usually go with True Roots.
For the sauce:
1. Bring a pot of water to boil, and heat your skillet with oil for the meatballs.
2. In a food processor mix all the ingredients for the turkey meatballs, form into balls (not too big or else it’s harder to cook through properly). Put the balls in the skillet and keep an eye on them, they shouldn’t take longer then 5-10 mins.
3. Add the noodles to boiling water.
4. In a food processor or blender if you don’t have add the pesto sauce, avocado and spinach, process until creamy.
5. Once the noodles are done drain and mix in the pesto sauce. I don’t cook the sauce, it gets heated up really well just from the hot noodles.
6. Top with the meatballs.